Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Perry St

176 Perry Street

New York, NY 10014

(212) 352-1900


Perry St is a very sophisticated restaurant with modern decor and a black and white, clean theme. It is noticeably upscale, but, then again, what do you expect for Jean Georges clientele? Unfortunately, I did not enjoy the service because while they were efficient and met our needs, the staff appeared very haughty and condescending in their aura. Even if 3 young professional friends (my sister, our friend, and myself) come into the restaurant, everyone deserves the same respectable service and a comfortable atmosphere. Isn't that the point of eating out?


Anywho, the food was great! As a foodie, I was excited to be eating the food of one of the most celebrated chefs of our time (Jean-Georges Vongerichten). Yes, I am cheesy. Additionally, while my opinion stands that the food was avant garde, delicious, and exciting, I will have a word of warning: although most of the food is what most people eat with traditional ingredients, some of the offerings are definitely different and not of everyday combinations. It is prepared and cooked in a very different fashion. This could be a good thing for some, bad for others. You only live once, though. Why not go for the adventurous?


To start was an amuse-bouche (or, bite sized) which was comprised of a tomato-watermelon soup. This was certainly a very new taste to my palate, and I was unsure of what to think of it because while it was a bit different and slightly tart, it was very refreshing and I would certainly try it again.


Next was an Artic char sashimi which, to me, was an odd, yet fun way to move on from the amuse-bouche. The sashimi was very fresh and simply prepared with lemon and coarse grain salt. For my entree, I had steak with really nicely jazzed up potatoes which were delicious. Simple, yet divine. All of this was paired with a rose.

We ate from the prix fixe menu, which I highly recommend, not only for a nice taste of the menu from start to finish, but also for the lower prices. Needless to say, the staff definitely left a lasting impression and is the one reason why I would not go back. On the other hand, I would absolutely go back (prix fixe!) because I know the food would be superb. The fresh ingredients truly made a difference, even in less complicated dishes. It would be exciting to go back, as the menu seems seasonal and the creator of that fine menu seems to guarantee impeccable fare.