Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Quercy Restaurant

242 Court St

Brooklyn, NY 11201

(718) 243-2151

Since it was Brooklyn's restaurant week, many places were offering prix fixe menus. Quercy is a relatively small eatery and every table was full and lively with conversation. Here, the prix fixe was 3 courses for $23- not a price to complain about. Unfortunately, the same can not be said about the staff, who were slow and inefficient, to be quite frank. Anyway, lets talk food.


Starting, I ate goat cheese wrapped in puff pastry with salad greens. I thought that the warm goat cheese salad was relatively good. There was a housemade dressing on the side, which did not seem to complement the salad as a whole, so i did not use it too much. Basically it tasted like buttermilk-ranch dressing. However, the goat cheese was scrumptious... well, let's face it, anything wrapped in pastry is divine! The Coq Au Vin was relatively okay and was accompanied by a side of buttered green beans or, 'haricot vert'. It is a traditional french dish, meaning chicken cooked in wine. I expected much more vegetables in my stew, but I cannot complain about the quantity of chicken. Unfortunately, the stew seemed to be lacking something, though I could not pin-point what was missing. As for my dessert, I was very happy. The chocolate cake was flourless and decadent! Very chocolatey and a dense cake who would make any chocolate lover happy. I sampled some of my fellow diner's food: the chicken in a mustard sauce was excellent. The chicken was moist and the mustard sauce was not overpowerful, yet creamy and pungent enough to have a lasting taste on your tastebuds. Also, the scalloped potatoes were creamy, cheesy, and buttery. What more can you ask for in a potato?


I drank House wine and it was very good red wine. It was notable, as it came in a wine bottle where the label seemed to have braille on it; never saw that before. Definitely not a bad drink of choice, especially for house wine.

Overall the food was decent. I really wanted to try the beef bourguinon but it was not part of the prix fixe menu. Maybe I would go back and try that next time especially if the service changes. Hopefully it was just an 'off' night for the wait staff and next time they will be a bit more speedy with the service. Overall, the food was quite lovely.