Thursday, August 6, 2009

ColYUMbian...

Okay, so unfortunately with this posting, I clearly don't have the name of the restaurant or location. The reason for this is that by the time I wrote the post, I had completely forgotten the name. The best I could do was this: it is located somewhere on W. Waters Avenue and Armenia Avenue in Tampa, Florida. Luckily my dad told me this. I feel very sad that I can not share the precise location, as this restaurant was an absolute gem!!! Ironically, I remembered everything that I ate. I guess you could say it left an impression on my palate. For the sake of everyone's sanity, let's just call this place, "ColYUMbian." HaHaHa I crack myself up!


"ColYUMbian" place was a true hole-in-the wall!!! But, these places usually have the tastiest, most authentic cuisine. Also, it's not filled with tourists, but the people of the culture! We were practically the only one's who spoke english. I loved it! I felt like I was in Colombia! The staff was SUPER friendly, helpful and always greeted with a smile on their face. Always appreciated!!!


If I had one word to describe the food at "ColYUMbian," it would be 'rustic.' Nothing was overdone, just food cooked from the heart, just how I like it. I ordered the half chicken with fried plantains, white rice, and beans. The beans were so tasty and wonderfully authentic! They were chock-full of shredded pork and perfectly seasoned. I would probably be happy eating that with rice for dinner! The chicken was good, in some parts a little dry, but it had good intentions with great seasoning and a perfect match with the plantains (another thing I could eat singularly for dinner). I sampled pork rinds that came with my mom's entree, and that was also amazing--fresh, crispy, and goooood pork fat and flavor. Who doesn't like pork rinds??


I would certainly go back here. The portions are monstrous and your stomach will be happily satiated for a long while, so expect to bring home leftovers. I have eaten Colombian food before in more fancy places, but this restaurant was much more authentic and the experience felt much more truly Colombian. I was overwhelmingly satisfied!