Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dawat

(212) 355-7555

210 E. 58th St (58th & 2nd)

New York, NY 10022


Indian food has played a big part in my childhood...thankfully. My father, hailing from England always cooked his 'Saturday night curry' and slowly introduced my sister and me to this excitingly mystical cuisine. I think that many people are intimidated by the strong aromas and spices that are not commonly used in western cuisine, but really it makes for some flavorful food.


Dawat (pronounced, Da-vut) was an excellent representation of Indian food. Owned by Madhur Jaffrey, cookbook writer and winner of several James Beard awards for cookbooks, this restaurant offers a varied selection of Indian dishes. Often times, dishes are shared, or, 'family style.' My group and I ordered vegetable samosa appetizers, lamb and chicken biryani, chicken tikka masala, and naan. All entrees were very tasty and with a good amount of spice. I often get samosas at Indian restaurants because any type of pastry stuffed with potatoes and veggies is bound to be yummy. These samosas were excellent, as expected, but they were on the small side, as were the entrees- really the only complaint I have. The lamb and chicken biryani's are essentially meat and rice. The meat, in both dishes, was tender and juicy in comparison to the al dente rice (can rice be al dente?... oh well, I'll go with it!). It was a nice marriage of textures. Finally, the masala, which is similar to stew: bite sized pieces of chicken swimming in a creamy, spiced tomato broth, was delicious and comforting. It is the perfect dish to mop up with fluffy naan bread, especially with the sudden heat that arises after a bite or two.


I was certainly happy with the meal and my company- my cousin and his girlfriend were visiting my sister and I, from the west coast! I would definitely return here, especially to sit in the back of the restaurant where you can view chefs cooking at the tandoors (ovens commonly used in middle eastern cuisine). Now, if only I can hop on a plane and get to India my experience should be complete...