Thursday, October 22, 2009

Morton's Steakhouse

Morton's Steakhouse

551 Fifth Avenue

New York, NY 10017

(212) 972-3315

(Multiple locations throughout the country)


I'm on the hunt for meat! Steak to be specific! I was eagerly anticipating my visit to Morton's, as it seemed a legendary place to eat some great steak. Hopefully the franchise will live up to my expectations...

I went here for a surprise proposal party, so of course, a fun evening with friends was going to be had. Upon entering the restaurant, it was a dark vibe and quite smaller than I had expected. Either way, the crowd appeared lively and I remained excited to eat.

Because we were here for a private party, the menu was practically pre-determined; choose your appetizer, salad, entree, and dessert from one or two selections. I was rather surprised when deciding what to order for my appetizer because there were only seafood choices: Broiled Sea Scallops, Colossal Shrimp Alexander, Jumbo Lump Crab Cake. Being a relative newbie to most seafood I was forced to choose the broiled sea scallops with bacon, as I unfortunately still do not like shrimp (I'm trying though!) and I didn't care to know what Alexander had to do with it! Reluctantly, I tried my selection and was actually quite surprised. Even though my scallop tasting history is scarce, I thought that these were very well cooked and paired nicely with the saltiness of the bacon. Satisfied, I was hoping for a lovely steak to follow. Unfortunately, my filet mignon was not as tasty as I'd hoped. I really hoped for something that would 'hit the spot,' but it tasted rather ordinary. It was not as juicy or lip-smacking as I'd hoped. Sides were also standard- potatoes and asparagus; didn't make me jump for joy. Oh well, I can always rely on dessert, right? I ordered the Morton's legendary hot chocolate cake- you know, the stuff with the gooey inside. I quickly forgot about my dinner and enjoyed the company I was with. With that said, I will not lie- my edible hopes were dashed Maybe you can't turn into a franchise and truly maintain quality.... will I ever find the Great Steak?