Friday, October 16, 2009

The Olde Ship British Pub & Restaurant

709 North Harbor Blvd

Fullerton, CA

(714) 871- 7447

I was a bit skeptical when my dad said that we were going to eat at a British place. I thought, British food.. in California?! For some reason, it just seemed odd to me, but The Olde Ship was a lovely place and makes you think you just stepped into a pub on the corner in London. The vibe was very much akin to a true pub, not a dingy bar where you feel uncomfortable and people are spilling their drinks on you. I recommend going to the website and reading about what a real pub is because they have a great description on their menu. My pictures of the menu are a bit difficult to read.

Their food was very tasty, hearty, and abundant. I ate the Cornish pasty which is a light, flaky pastry filled with ground meat and different vegetables. The traditional usually calls for ground meat, but at this restaurant, the filling is with chunks of beef. I know that many people would tend to favor hunks of meat, but I was slightly disappointed as I expected and prefer the old-school way. My Cornish pasty was also covered in brown gravy which kind of banished my hopes for crunchy pastry. All in all, it was certainly not a bad meal, it was actually very flavorful and savory, but I guess when you are so used to one way, it's hard to stray from the familiar.


One awesome thing about the Olde Ship is that they serve their huge selection of beers in actual pint-sized glasses! This statement probably sounds funny, but sometimes when you ask for a pint in some bars, believe it or not, the glass is deceptively not a pint!

It was a grand "olde" (<-- ha ha I crack me up!) time at The Olde Ship and a nice place for some British type fare in SoCal.