Monday, December 21, 2009

Pastis

9 Ninth Ave.

New York, NY 10014

(212) 929-4844


Pastis is set in the heart of possibly my favorite part of Manhattan- the Meatpacking District. It is like another world there, without the sardine can-like crowds and the cobblestone streets remind me of Europe and the old world. I love it and could spend a day in the little nook of the city people watching and staring at the lovely buildings and architecture. Anywho, Pastis, I feel is perfect for the area. The 1940's french themed bar and restaurant are precisely how I want to decorate my future kitchen! Fiona suggested that we go here- finally! We went with fellow foodie, Joe, and had a ball. It was very crowded and there was a wait, but nothing too complain about while we admired the decor. I was just excited that we were going to have brunch!

Coincidentally, the three of us wanted the same thing, so to change it up, I ordered the .... which are from the bakery, Balthazar owned by the same proprietors. I should have known it was a funny selection because of the waitress' questionable expression on her face and the fact that she said "you just want the pastry for brunch?" I thought nothing of it, of course, but then understood when my order came. My order consisted of a croissant, chocolate croissant, sticky bun, and orange brioche. For some reason when I ordered, I envisioned tiny bite-sized pastries, but no, it was an enormous bread basket, obviously made to share as a side dish. Either way, after I giggled at my order, I was very happy. Helloooo carbs! I was instantly transported to an outside boulangerie in Paris. Each pastry was sugary, sticky, flaky, and just as buttery as I'd hoped. I shared with Fiona and Joe and I think they had the same sentiments.

I also stole some of their Eggs a la Basquaise- the dish we all wanted originally (poached egg with polenta, peppers, onions, and prosciutto). We were all surprised by how small the serving was, when presented. However, it was lovely. The yolky egg and peppers were an excellent flavor combination. Very much like a breakfast-y sausage and peppers. But, towards the scraping of the plate at the end of the dish, the very obvious question came to be-- Where is the polenta?? I don't know if they were sleepy back there in the kitchen, but it certainly was not on the plate. Oh well!

To end, my sister and my dessert was poire au vin rouge or poached pears. Instantly, I thought of the winter holidays. Each bite of pear was very reminiscent of a mulled wine spiced with cloves. The pear was tender but not mushy and soaked in the flavorful wine. Quite yummy and a lovely light choice to end our brunch. Joe ate bananas foster, which was okay, but I'm not a big fan of bananas unless it is right out of its' peel. I will definitely go back here again as the other menus seem spectacular and it is a good excuse to go back to the meatpacking district... a pretty decent excuse, if you ask me!