Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Odeon

145 West Broadway

New York, NY 10013

(212)233-0507


Going out for dinner is obviously very much a social event and The Odeon provided a great menu for my friends and I to dine on. Fiona, friend Joe, and I happened upon this place recently and determined that it would be the next spot for us to meet. So, with the three of us, Rich, Sal, and Kristin, we enjoyed a French Bistro-esque type meal. With all of us, we practically ordered half the dinner menu, and I felt very lucky to sample much of it! I think that's one of the great things about going out with larger groups- you get to taste a bunch of food. Sounds good to me!

I ordered the Country Frisee Salad, Angus Hangar Steak, and, if you've read my previous blogs, you won't be at all surprised to read that I ordered the Molten Chocolate Cake (I know, I know, I'll change my dessert choices, but I just love that gooey chocolate. Mmmmmm!).


The salad was simply seasoned with a vinaigrette and garnished with bacon lardons. It was absolutely delicious. The fatty bacon and lightly acidic dressing cut the tangy cheese so nicely and I wanted to lick up my plate. Except, I remembered that I should act like a lady and waited hungrily for the next course. Gladly, my friends came to the rescue and I was able to nosh on their appetizers which included a Warm Goat Cheese Salad, Baby Beet Salad, Spicy Chicken Dumplings, and Chicken liver mousse which was a special. They were all very tasty but if I chose a favorite of the three, it would be the beet salad.


Eventually, our entrees came and I was eager to dive in. My steak was cooked precisely as I'd ordered- medium and thinly cut into strips. I was admittedly taken aback by this presentation, as I was anticipating a whole cut of steak. However, that was soon forgotten because the combination of bearnaise sauce, fabulous confit potatoes and steak juices melded beautifully together. It was practically sublime and I did not have an ounce of regret with my choice. The only thing I was disappointed with was that I hoped for more. The portion was fair, but I definitely wanted a few more bites to savor.


Lastly, after good conversation and a few sly forkfuls of Rich's meal, the famously predicatable chocolate cake emerged. Now, I have to defend myself slightly because when we passed The Odeon, a couple weeks ago, there was an ice cream cart with a guy serving up some cones and we found out that they made their own ice cream. Therefore, even though I got the cake, I also was able to taste a very nice hazelnut ice cream served on the side. It was very smooth and creamy and had a nicely subtle hazelnut flavor which complimented the cake.


Overall, it was a very yummy experience and I also want to return to the area, which was littered with many restaurants I want to try. Another restaurant down, many more to visit!