Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Les Halles

15 John St.

New York, NY 10038

(212) 285-8585


Les Halles!!!!! Finally me and the usual suspects are going going here after much waiting and hemming and hawing about not having been. The usual suspects being Fiona, Rich, Julie, Joe, and of course, myself. Fee and I really wanted to come here since one of our favorite food critics/chefs, Anthony Bourdain had his start and the famed restaurant. Yes, the cantankerous and witty Bourdain! I think I have a crush on him HAHA. Either way, it was so exciting to visit his original home in the restaurant world. Unfortunately, not everything was as wonderful as we'd hoped. Well, I give the food an A--for astonishing and the service also and A-- for appalling. If it not had been for the food, my disappointment would have been at an all time high and I would have been a cranky ice skater in our subsequent adventure to Bryant Park.


I ate the Ouef Poches a l'Ecossaise, poached eggs on an English muffin with Bearnaise sauce and a slice of smoked salmon. I've been on a smoked salmon kick, because while I adore the cooked kind, eating the smoked stuff has been a slower progression for me. Lately, I've taken to it nicely, especially with the popular paring of bagels and lox (with a tomato, thank you very much). So, to further my quest of smoked salmon one-ness, I ordered as mentioned. It was absolute heaven! The salmon melted like salty butter in my mouth, balanced by the delicate acidity of the Bearnaise and soft, smooth, runny yolks. (WITH very slight smokiness). Even Rich, who either didn't realize that it had smoked salmon on it when I ordered, or just plain forgot, loved it-- which is, let's be frank here, miraculous considering all he likes in terms of fish is the fried kind.


Fiona ate the Ouef Meurette, with bacon and a white wine shallot sauce. I, of course had to try, and my sister and I both agreed this dish was also delicious and a different twist on regular eggs Benedict. Rich ate the Crepes aux Fruits Frais. It was a great dish, however, since my sweet tooth is relatively small, I thought it was a bit too sweet for a brunch. But, to each his own! Julie and Joe had Ouef Benedicte. The following pics are of Fiona and Rich's orders.


Like I mentioned, the service was fairly bad, but if you're willing to overlook or forgo that crucial part of your own dining experience, I'd say it really is worth going to Les Halles. Food was the saving grace here. We were well fed and on our way to fall on our bums at Bryant Park!