Friday, February 5, 2010

Tea and Sympathy

108 Greenwich Ave

New York, NY 10011

(212) 989-9735


You know, I've decided that it's really kind of upsetting to hear people say, 'Oh, I thought British food is terrible,' even without trying it! So it's very gratifying when I can matter-of-factly say, Not so! And, I have many reasons to prove that person wrong. One being, Tea and Sympathy. Set in the West Village is this little itty-bitty restaurant. And I'm serious. It's small. But the wait at the door for that coveted spot where you squeeze in next to that stranger at the adjacent table is so incredibly worth it.


I've had the fortune to eat here many times, thanks to my dad, a Brit, who got to explore the city having worked downtown for so long. You will often find many natives here and the owner, Nicky, has managed to build sort of a mini British empire on the street; the area now cozily, nostalgically, and lovingly dubbed, Little Britain. There are many Brits populating the tiny locale of the city and shops filled with products from abroad. I recommend going to A Salt and Battery if you want a quick meal of fish n chips if you are on the go, which is right next door. Luckily, my dad, Fiona, and I had all the time in the world and arrived for Sunday brunch. Surprisingly, this was our first time going there for brunch, as we are usually there later in the day. Either way, I don't mind.


I had the Welsh rarebit which, like most other British food is very much composed of whatever the farmer had available. Subsisting on meat and dairy, basically. Anywho, my food was lovely- whole grain toast with melted cheddar, a tomato, and British mustard with a side of Branston pickle (a typical vegetable spread put on many foods, akin to the use of ketchup). Seems simple enough, but the combination warms you to the core on a cold day. I ate it with a side of baked beans. Yes! Baked beans is a big staple in the British household and my favorite are Heinz... as if you really wanted to know! Fiona ordered the same, but with British bacon, which has much more meat on it than the kind found in the states.

My dad, another huge fan of breakfast, had the English breakfast, consisting of scrambled eggs, slab bacon, beans, tomato, and a banger. It turned out to be a very satisfying brunch, if I do say so. And if you're ever in the area, I would certainly stop by at this place.


A few things on the menu I highly recommend are the Cornish Pasty; Afternoon tea for one, which have finger sandwiches, tea, and scones with jam and clotted cream (MMMMMMMmmmmm!); Shepherd's Pie; Bangers and Mash; and last but certainly not least- all of their daily special desserts which is usually some type of pudding or cake served with warm custard. I could just order custard and be happy, though, which isn't a bad idea either!