Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fushimi

9316 4th Ave (btwn 93rd & 94th)

Brooklyn, NY 11209

(718) 833-7788

An additional location is in Staten Island


Set in the heart of the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn is a Japanese/ French fusion-type restaurant with your basic Bento boxes and also various combinations of sushi rolls. Dark lighting and modern architecture naturally create a mysterious aura and intimate atmosphere with the people at your table. Friendly and helpful service from wait staff provides a comforting experience. Typically, I do not favor chain restaurants, however, Fushimi exceeded my expectations with fresh fare and good service.

We were recommended this place by a friend and he mentioned the large cocktail selection with delicious mixed drinks. I had the Lychee Champagne, a refreshing and light cocktail with a garnish of lychee, which I loved. A nice balance of sweetness and bubbles cut the sharpness of the vodka.

I commenced dinner with the 'Amazing Crunchy Calamari' which were panko-breaded calamari, fried, and served with a dipping sauce that tasted like sweet duck sauce, with hints of jalapeno and sesame seeds for added crunch. It was delicious and a surprising spin on your standard fried calamari. For my entree I asked the waitress to suggest which roll to choose from ~3 that I selected from the menu. I find that, in many places, the staff or surrounding patrons are often the best measure of what to order. It definitely worked in my favor! I choose the Sunset Blvd roll: yellow tail, salmon, and spicy tuna with avocado and tempura flakes on a bed of plum sauce. Lately, I have gone on a trying-something-new kick, as, I believe, a normal foodie should be; take that risk and hopefully will enjoy what you select. Well, I was happily surprised. With the saltiness and slight heat of the wasabi-soy dipping sauce (standard sushi accompaniment), the delicate sweetness of the plum, and crunchiness of the roll, there was a lovely balance of flavor and textures with each bite. I thoroughly enjoyed my roll and my mouth is watering as I reminisce! My boyfriend had a chicken terriyaki- shrimp tempura Bento box with a side of shrimp shumai, which, while standard, was also delicious. Between my appetizer and entree, it was a perfect amount of food for dinner and I left Fushimi completely satiated! Side note: Fushimi does offer a tasting menu which is recommended and Zagat rated. It is approximately $70pp so bring your appetite!