Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Maroni Cuisine

18 Woodbine Avenue

Northport, NY 11768

(631) 757-4500

So, I had always heard about Maroni's: not only from word-of-mouth, but of course, through the Food Network's, Throwdown with Bobby Flay- Meatballs. Maroni's has been featured for their meatballs and I have heard nothing but good things about them, so one day, as my boyfriend and I were walking through Northport village one night, we became hungry. We both wanted to eat outside since many of the restaurants offer such seating and it was also such a lovely night out. We passed Maroni's, which was full, but ...long story short, we got lucky and were seated in the outside section!

First thoughts were that it reminded me of an ally in Little Italy; very quaint and utterly romantic. But, it is also conducive for a fun night with a group. Of course, I knew about the tasting menu, but that night, we were both not starving, so instead of spending ~$150pp (Cash or check only) on their tasting menu, which I WILL do one day, we just went a la carte.

For an appetizer, I had the salad, which was a simple mesculin salad with shaved ricotta salata. The vinaigrette was wonderful- I don't typically pick standard vinaigrette, however, this was acidic, yet sweet and was perfect with the salata. My boyfriend ordered the baked clams oreganata. Now, clams are not my favorite, but I can't stop raving enough about these! They were crunchy and delectable, but not overly stuffed with breadcrumbs that you tasted a mouthful of dryness. These clams were still moist and tasty. Scrumptious! For our entrees, my boyfriend ordered a three-cheese-type pasta, which was delicious and the pasta was truly al dente. If you have not had truly al dente pasta before, please do! It really makes a difference to your pasta meal. As for me, I had to get the much raved about, Spaghetti and Meatballs. It was in a wonderfully light tomato sauce. The meatballs were not too heavy and simply garnished with basil. An even better treat (which most people might not do): the leftovers were equally as spectacular as the flavors melded together even more. To drink, we had Cabernet Sauvignon, which complimented my meal wonderfully.

Finally for dessert, I had a chocolate souffle (surprised?) with an oozing center of chocolate. Essentially, it was simple but a chocolate lovers dream. It was a fabulous way to end an even more fabulous dinner.

Side note: Seating is limited as it this is a teeny, tiny restaurant, so I would call in a reservation. Also, there is no menu, your options are tasting menu (approximately 20? various bite-sized nibbles for your palate- bring your appetite!) or a la carte, which the waitress or waiter expertly details for you.