Sunday, November 29, 2009

Funchos

1166 West Main St.

Riverhead, NY 11901

(631) 369-7277

As soon as we pulled into the Funchos parking lot, I knew I would enjoy my meal. The tiny place (sits about 15 people inside and there are outside tables) was full in the middle of the afternoon and just the decor- orange, neon greens, and purples cover the walls- invited you to gorge on some messy, scrumptious food. Me and some girlfriends came here, famished after apple picking, at the request of my good friend Lianne; if she raves about a place, it must be worth it!! The menu is big, but trusty Lianne and sis, Fiona suggested 2 fantastic tacos for my meal...

I ordered the highly recommended Chili taco, Funchos style, and West Coast Fish taco with yellow rice and black beans. The first thing I noted before even tasting the food was the abundance of fresh vegetables on the tacos. No soupy salsa from a jar, but good old homemade chunky salsa. I ordered the Chili taco on a hard shell, Funchos style; in addition to lettuce, tomato, salsa, there is also sour cream, corn, olives, and jalapenos. That alone could make you feel good on a cold day. Eat 2 or 3 of them and you'd be satisfied. Eating it, a lovely mix of heat, spice, and coolness combined together for a nice lingering sensation on my taste buds.


I was also eagerly anticipating the West Coast fish taco, as my sister ate here once before and said it was the best one she's had outside of southern California. Those are some bold words and some big shoes to fill, so I ordered it with high expectations. If you've never had a fish taco, you are probably thinking, "Bite-Sized, you are one nutty person." But, fish tacos are actually an overwhelmingly popular fare in southern California and so amazingly tasty! They often come either fried or grilled. Looking at mine, it seemed like a standard white fish taco on a soft corn tortilla with the usual accouterments. However, the taste was far from ordinary or standard. The fish was not 'fishy' at all and was nicely fried, not oily, and stayed crunchy despite the jalapeno cream sauce on it. I think the corn tortilla brought it over the top. The flavors worked so well together and felt light at the same time, not too heavy where you are too stuffed from eating.


The last picture is one of my friend's burritos and she said it was delish! Overall, the meal was very satisfying and cheap! Now if I want a good fish taco, I know where to get it. There is also a relatively generous offering of drinks to quell the spice (Dos Equis, Coronitas) that came as a surprise, being such a small place. And there's a bonus! There just happens to be a great little ice cream place right next door, all homemade, and very creamy, with various unique and standard flavors. Many thanks to go to my friends who often suggest the places for my foodie adventures :O)